Thursday, March 21, 2013

What brothers are for

Yes, they fight. Often enough to make me wonder what the hell I am doing wrong... but then, there are also magical times that confirm that I don't completely suck as a mom. Today was one of those magical days.

The 3 year old woke up with a fever (no, that wasn't the magical part) and from the start, the 5 year old, while still being his usual rambunctious self, assumed a natural caregiver role. He gave new meaning to the words big brother (well, new-ish to this household anyway). He went out of his way to clown around trying to make his little brother smile when the whining started as I took a shower. He got water to help him stop coughing and kleenex for his drippy nose.

He even searched high and low for his brother's favourite book, "I had trouble in getting to Solla Sollew" by Dr. Seuss. His plan was to "read" it to him... and he did. Well, he doesn't actually read yet but he has most of the book memorized. It was truly endearing. And I just thought to myself, that's what brothers are for.

video

In truth, the 5 year old has really been stepping up in a big way. I'm seeing more and more of this "I'll take you under my wing" kind of behaviour towards his little brother. It probably has something to do with the fact that he's anticipating the arrival of yet another little brother soon and he's feeling somewhat maternal.

Who knows. Whatever the reason, I like it ;)

Boy #3 arriving end of July



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh belated congratulations - another little one on the way, how exciting for you all, Alice x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Comments are always appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...