Friday, August 12, 2011

Confession

I have a confession to make and It's really silly.

Are you ready? Ok, here goes...

I like Katy Perry

*runs to hide*

It's true. I do.

I just realized that I've liked every song of hers that I've heard on the radio. I don't know what the rest of her music is like, and I wouldn't necessarily go out and buy her albums [yes, I still call them albums - sue me!], but I find her style very entertaining.



I know, it's mindless pop. But that's kind of the point. It's fun just for the sake of being fun. She doesn't take herself seriously and isn't obnoxious like most other pop artists out there [Hello, Lady Gaga?].

Her songs make me want to jump up and dance. I don't really agree with some of the lyrics, especially the stuff about sleeping around and such [I'm not a prude by any means but I still don't believe in whoring around... the concept just bothers me. And just so we're clear, I disapprove of it for both men and women alike]. But overall, the songs are cheerful and carefree which, somehow makes everything ok.

Plus I think she totally got screwed over with all that bullshit that surrounded her Sesame Street appearance. What a load of crap! I've watched the video a few times and I just don't get what all the hoopla is all about. Viewers seriously overreacted! Here's an excerpt of an article about the controversy from Associatedcontent:

In the video of the duet between Perry and Elmo, the singer can be seen wistfully singing in a plunging strapless lime green mini dress. Mostly Perry is seen from the side however, about two-thirds of the way into the video, she begins running at the camera full frontal. Let's just say that little is left to the imagination.
For her part, Katy Perry has remained upbeat about the controversy her sexy Sesame Street spot has caused. The singer tweeted, "Wow, looks like my play date with Elmo has been cut short!" Perry's comedian fiancee Russell Brand made light of the scandal in his tweets. "Today's Sesame Street will NOT be brought to you by the number 34 and the letter D," Brand joked.


Since it's Friday, I'll leave you with my Friday song of the week selection. Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night" video. I can't help but tap my feet when I hear this song... and the video's hilarious to boot. [See how many 80's references you get]. Happy Friday ;)

p.s. The 80's totally rocked!!!

p.p.s Yay, it's Friday!!!!

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with enjoying well crafted pop. Of all the pop stars out there, I think Katy Perry has more talent and a better sense of humour than most.
    As for sesame street, I love the programme (one of the few kids shows to have ever shown breast feeding), but what's with being boob phobic? Kids don't care about bouncing bosoms, grown-ups do. Ah well...
    Great post and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarp
    Thanks Sarp!

    I agree that kids couldn't care less... it's usually adults that 'project' their own fears and insecurities (and sexual stigmas) onto the kids. Which is what I was saying here:

    http://redwhiteandgreenmom.blogspot.com/2011/07/nail-polish-for-boys.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Comments are always appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...