Monday, February 7, 2011

Raise your glass

P!NK
So, raise your glass 
if you are wrong, in all the right ways.
All my underdogs.
We will never be, never be, anything but loud
and nitty gritty dirty little freaks...



There's something very appealing to me about these lyrics. When I was in high school my brother bought me a sign to hang on my door that said "Why be normal!". It was perfect for me then and it's still perfect for me now. I'm certainly very different from the teenage girl I used to be, but in many ways I really haven't changed at all.

I'm still socially awkward, I often feel like an outsider and things that are not of the norm still appeal to me. I like to question status quo instead of just accepting it. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. I used to manifest this outwardly by my appearance. My high school uniform was plagued by cigarette burns, my shoes were held together by safety pins and in college I had blue streaks in my hair.

My outward appearance has changed but I still feel like that sixteen year old girl some days. Ok, many days. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. I feel young at heart and sometimes I can't believe I have two kids. Other times, I wish the social awkwardness wasn't there. It's hard for me to relate to a lot of the people I meet. On the whole though, I'm pretty happy being me. Luckily I have an amazing support group online and the few amazing ladies I do relate to in real life keep me grounded [and somewhat sane]... Either way, I could never change just to be part of the socially acceptable norm. It wouldn't be true to my real self. I can't compromise on MY SELF just to make others accept me.

So, if you can relate to sometimes being an outsider and just not giving a damn about it (most days) - Join me in raising your glass too. To hell with everyone else ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting. Comments are always appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...